On September 24, The Fashionistas’ Runway Series sent local designer Elizabeth Anyaa’s beautiful, textural collection down the catwalk. Models strutted their stuff with perfect ponytails wrapped in custom-made cords, and StyleSheet posted gorgeous post-event photos. I nearly died. Those. Ponytails. I knew I wanted one immediately. So, with a little, help I tracked down the lead stylist, Devon Faldon, director of education at Toni&Guy, and we prepared a little how-to video. That neat, sexy, futuristic looking ponytail earned me about a dozen compliments from strangers at the Jean Paul Gaultier Donor Circle reception party Wednesday night. I’ll be rocking the look again. Now it’s your turn to try it.
Don’t love heavy cord for the embellishment? What about a more subtle black lace? See below. The options are endless.
Devon used: Bed Head Masterpiece Shine Hairspray, Bed Head Headrush Shine Spray, S-Factor Creamy Molding Wax, and Denman boar bristle brush.
(Find the lotions and potions at TIGI salons locally and the brush online.)
Jump for step-by-step instructions.
- Quick step by step for the perfect ponytail:
Tools needed to get the look:
• Boar bristle brush
• Wax or paste
• An elastic
• 4 bobby pins
• Ribbon or yarn
Start off with a slick backed ponytail at the crown area.
• Use a boar bristle brush to smooth back tresses
• Utilize a paste or wax to rid ponytail of pesky fly aways
• Secure with an elastic and two bobby pins that should interlock to form an X
• Lift out any bumps with a rat tail comb or bobby pin
• Layer on hairspray 10”-12” away from the head to lock in the look
Wrap it up
To spice up your perfect ponytail use ribbon or yarn to add color and texture
• Start by securing the ribbon with a bobby pin. The bobby pin will lock into the X.
• Wrap the ponytail keeping the hair at a low elevation and wrapping the ribbon taught and slightly overlapping to keep the look solid and the ribbon secure
• Work back up the ponytail and secure at the top with one last bobby pin