Our beautifully redesigned D Weddings site
Johanna Rohrback Prancercising to John Mayer’s “Paper Doll” on The Cut
Jane Pratt, editor-in-chief at xojane.com, on her beauty routine on Into the Gloss
Modern Eve’s roundup of 19 high-waisted swimsuits
D Home’s Pinterest page (boasting more than 95,000 followers, sheesh)
Bonus link: the application form to nominate beautiful ladies in your life
You can shop Nicole Kwon’s store, find her favorite lines, and ask what she’s pumped about carrying each season, but prefer to get more personal. Kwon stopped by the D offices yesterday to spill her gorgeous new Mansur Gavriel bag. Between running a shop, designing her own collections, and opening the store’s new e-shop this month, I don’t know how she found time, but I’m thankful she did. I’ve added a couple new things to my wish list as a result. Take a look:
1. Scrap book/journal. “When I go on buying trips or get inspiration for my own line, I like to put these here.”
2. Unearthen jewelry. “They’ll all handmade in California. We’re very exclusively carrying them in Dallas. It’s so different. It’s special. Even though it’s bold and big, you can wear them all together.” [Ed note: Dying over these.]
3. Clare Vivier Grand Pochette cosmetic case. “Sometimes I just wear it as a clutch.”
4. Beauty products from top left:
Guerlain Météorites Powder For The Face. “I don’t use a lot of foundation.”
Tocca eau de parfum in Stella. “I have about four perfumes, but I think this is great for spring/summer.”
Rodin lip balm. “It’s my favorite lip balm.” [Available at Forty Five Ten]
Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector. “I wear this every day.”
Darphin Organic Rose Aromatic Care. “For anti-aging. It smells so relaxing, too.”
Givenchy Le Vernis Intense Color Nail Lacquer in Croisiére Purple #12. “It’s my spring color.”
YSL Rouge Volupté Silky Sensual Radiant Lipstick in Lingerie Pink #7. “I wear this during the day. At night I wear a darker color, like fuchsia.”
5. Canon EOS 60D. “I carry it with me all the time. Most of the time I just take photos of casting models or for the website, but sometimes I take photos of random things to hang them up.”
6. Measuring tape. “It just makes me happy.”
7. BookBook iPhone case. “It supposed to look like a vintage book, but you can carry credits cards, receipts, and cash.”
8. Real Raw Juice’s The Skinny. “It makes me less guilty eating chocolate.” [We coincidentally both had brownies for breakfast.]
9. Copic markers. ”I’ve had these for 15 years. I got them back in Korea when I was in high school.”
10. Karen Walker sunglasses. ”They go well with everything.”
1. These Cooper camo skinnies from Textile by Elizabeth and James at Original Octane. I’d wear them nonstop year-round with tanks and sandals or sweaters and boots.
2. The new Mansur Gavriel vegetable-tanned leather tote that just hit the floor at Nicole Kwon. So classic, so sophisticated, so easy to fill full of stuff.
3. Estée Lauder’s Pure Color gloss in Plum Desire. It’s hands down one of my favorite lip gloss colors of all time, and considering I have 15 or so shades in my purse at all times, that’s saying something. It’s a raspberry cream that provides a sheer wash in one swipe or rich color in two.
4. These Casadei for Prabal Gurung strappy wedge pumps on sale at Barneys.com. I need to lose a shoe size, but who’s a 6.5? Grab those babies.
5. Becca’s new Blotting Powder Perfector in Translucent. Available at Blushington, Four Seasons spa boutique, and Sephora stores. I’m using it as both a setting powder over tinted moisturizer and mattifier to combat shine mid-90-degree-day. Bring it on, summer. I’m ready.
Trunk Show at Apricot Lane: Apricot Lane Boutique in Galleria Dallas will be hosting a fibi & clo trunk show this Friday, 1pm – 6pm. From wedges to jellies, you’re sure to find something summery that will strike your fancy. And the awesomely low prices might just tempt you to pick a pair or two to match your next pedicure.
Father’s Day Sale at Piermarini: Piermarini Boutique in Snider Plaza is the perfect place to do some last-minute Father’s Day shopping. Enjoy 30 percent off men’s and women’s clothing and shoes (excluding leather goods and jewelry) and pick a present Dad will love. The Father’s Day sale ends June 15.
Women’s Sale at Stanley Korshak: Stop by Stanley Korshak this weekend for their ongoing women’s sale. Snatch up chic spring and summer looks at 40 percent off, and be sure to check out the resort collections which have just been marked down to 60 percent off.
Once A Year Sale at Forty Five Ten: Don’t miss out on Forty Five Ten’s summer sale. Take 40 percent off men’s, women’s, and home for the rest of the season. But, get it while it’s hot. With discounts this good, I have a feeling my favorite Balenciaga wedges will be gone in a flash.
Summer Sale at Gemma Collection: If you’ve had your eye on one of Gemma Collection’s delicate chains, bold baubles, or classic monograms, hurry over for their summer sale and grab it while they’ve still got it. Take 25 percent off select items until they sell out. If shopping under pressure isn’t your thing, sign up for their e-mail list to receive 20 percent off one item.
Lauren Adams is a ShopTalk intern.
I have a drawer spilling over with haircare products right now, and I only have one head to experiment upon. Therefore, I’m unloading by sending a basket-full of goods to one reader. I’ve got two sets of shampoo (because, eventually, you’ll run out), conditioner, repair mask, volumizer, UV oil, light activating leave-in spray to give away.
If you’ve got lonely counter space dreaming of being filled with glorious haircare goodness, enter here to win.
Since having a baby, I now have three wonderful men to buy a gift for for Father’s Day: my grandpa, dad, and now, my husband. I’m stressed out. Any recommendations for good guy gift shops? –Julie
My recommendations follow.
For the dad who looks best in an apron…
Grapevine Olive Oil Company for more than 40 different olive oil blends (like black truffle oil) and balsamic vinegars (how about pomegranate quince?) plus pasta sauces, rubs, and recipes to match.
David’s Meat Market for a grill master’s dream combination of beef, chorizo, and specialty sausage, all made in house.
The Wooden Spoon for a cottage filled with hard-to-find Scandinavian delights such as pickled gherkins, herring in dill marinade, a variety of cheeses, Swedish coffee blends, and some oddball things like this resin sleeping baby (what?).
For the golfaholic dad…
Pebble + Pine for dapper apparel for the course, stylish saddle shoes, upgraded golf balls, coffee table books on the best holes in the country, manly apothecary potions, and other sartorial American-made products. (Snag this Gilt City deal for $100 worth of merchandise for only $50.)
For the dad who loves his garden more than you…
North Havens Garden to delight his green thumb. Serious gardeners call this place home for everything from backyard essentials to rare trees to urban chicken farming gear. Free class are offered, too, and cover a variety of topics, such as the proper way to water plants and how to pickle veggies.
For dad who’s in better shape than he was when he was 20…
Luke’s Locker to get him a sweet new pair of kicks to keep up the momentum. Take him with you to get him fitted properly. Add on some of that Nike gear he loves. You know he won’t buy it for himself.
Run On for one-on-one service for finding the proper shoe. Top it off with a luxurious pair of new high-tech socks.
For the dad who needs a wardrobe update…
Nicole Kwon for a selection of custom men’s cotton fabric shirts at reasonable price points. (Some are even iron free.) You can easily find shirts that translate from the office to the street. Shirts are tailored and shipped within a few days.
For the groovy dad who left his heart at Woodstock…
Good Records for good tunes. This shop wins Best of Big D Readers’ Choice award every year because it’s awesome. For traditional fellows who prefer tangible tunes to iPhone tracks, this music shop on Greenville carries everything from vinyls and turntables to t-shirts and posters.
For the dad who just wants to hang by the pool with a beer…
A pair of Hari Maris. These uber cool, eco-friendly flip-flops are sold at a variety of retailers around town: Blues Jean Bar, St. Bernard Sports, Luke’s Locker, Original Octane, and Equinox. At $60 a pop, your low-key dad might not invest, but you can do it for him and take his poolside side up a notch. He’ll wear them to death. I promise.
For the bookworm…
Lucky Dog Books to get him hooked on this used book store. In addition to sections of volumes in every genre, the shop also offers readings, workshops, and lectures.
The 10 Most Beautiful Women in Dallas 2013 is underway and nominations will be accepted until June 28.
Tyler Shield’s post-tornado snapshots in Moore, Oklahoma
These top 14 fall trends for Dallas on D Moms
Abby Gregory’s year without shopping essay on DFW Style Daily
The New York Times‘ Innovation Issue complete with the history of ant farms, breath mints, and fast fashion
The Cut’s take on Daphne Guinness’ new music video by Nick Knight
Circuit12 Contemporary is one of Dallas’ latest cool kid hangouts. The Design District art gallery, which is home to modern art, new media, and installations, has become a go-to venue for fashionable shindigs, like new monthly event series, Another Fashion Party. This Friday’s affair, co-hosted by Jim Duran of Blkln features local designer Izabel Varela of Izavel. A tiny $10 gets you in the door to this party with a full bar, a nighttime view of the Circuit12′s works, live tunes by DJs Ynfynyt Scroll & Tony Schwa, and, of course, fashion-obsessed partygoers, who will surely provide all the entertainment you need. Plus, you can check out the latest creations from Izavel, whose wares will be displayed on models posing on risers above the crowd.
2. Reece Hudson’s Siren Mini in plum. After watching a fall 2013 runway presentation, I am 100 percent head-over-heels in love with that bag and even crazier for the new color. It’s at the very top of my wish list.
3. A bottle of Tom Ford’s Limited Edition Nail Lacquer in Vapor. It’s both a statement making color and a neutral. Perfect.
4. A stick of Bobbi Brown’s Long Wear Cream Shadow Stick in Violet Plum. I’m all about lavender lids, like these from Jason Wu’s fall 2013 ready-to-wear show.
5. A shiny rose gold bottle of Beau Joie Champagne. The “suit of armor” keeps the champagne colder longer, perfect for sparkles by the pool when the sun is out in full force. Pick up a bottle at Glazer’s in Farmers Branch or, right here for a little discount.
Just Monday, I was gushing about Margot Elena (creator of Lollia and TokyoMilk), her newest line, Library of Flowers, and the Honeycomb creme. Today I’ve got a pretty tube of Honeycomb Handcreme to give away. Notes of sugared fig, ambrosia honey, and royal bee blossom (whatever that is) create a sweet but subtle fragrance, and the playful floral packaging is equally delightful. You’ll want to whip it out and show everyone.
I’ve got one to give away. Enter here to win.
Camp Gorgeous at Neiman Marcus: From June 2 through June 9, when you make a fragrance or cosmetic purchase that rings up over $85, you’ll get a striped tote and samples, like YSL Babydoll mascara, Kate Somerville Exfolikate, and Bliss Incredipeel.
Blaine’s Annual Hair Color Fashion Show: Every year Blaine hosts this bikini fashion affair with models touting freshly colored locks, but this year the swimwear is by local designer Ladaska Mechelle. The fashion show starts at 7 pm this evening. Details here.
Summer’s here. Pick up the bronzer and put down the ice cream. Swimsuits are coming, like it or not. Time to reconsider what you’re putting into your body. But what about what you’re putting on your skin? While you’re switching over from concealing powders to dewy tinted moisturizers and matte stains to glossy shades, why don’t you swap some of your chemical-laden go-tos for more natural new favorites? You don’t even have to do the work. Brandie Gilliam, Organic Beauty Talk blogger, has you covered, girl. She’s been on a 10+-year toxic-free journey, and she invites everyone along for the ride. Through trial and error, Gilliam’s become a self-made expert in the natural beauty arena, and she’s generously narrowed down her love list to just five favorites for ShopTalk readers. Take a look.
1. RMS Beauty Living Luminizer, $38
“A must have highlighter for glowing skin without any greasiness or shine. Use it on face, lips and even along the shoulder blades.”
2. Ilia Beauty Lipstick Crayon in Call Me, $24
“Keeps lips hydrated and pretty in pink with this handy little no-fuss crayon. Simply turn the cap when it gets low.”
3. Alima Pure Satin Matte Mineral Foundation in Cool 6, $25
“This mineral foundation is so pure and light. It leaves my skin looking flawless without feeling heavy or weighed down.”
4. Dr. Hauschka Limited Edition Spring 2013 Black Volume Mascara, $29.95
“This new volume mascara brush does wonders for lashes making them look fuller, longer and healthier without any clumping, caking or raccoon eyes.”
5. Kjaer Weis Cream Blush in Sun Touched, $54
“It comes in a fabulous metal compact and gives cheeks a lovely sun-touched coral color.”
Lucky duck Raya’s on vacation, so I’m filling in. Without further ado, the best clicks so far this week.
1. The late comedian Mitch Hedberg’s fascinating (and funny) joke journals, revealed exclusively to our Michael J. Mooney for GQ.
2. This TED talk from Dr. Meg Jay about why 30 is not the new 20.
3. Pop duo Quadron’s fantastic second album, available via New York Times‘ Press Play music feature.
4. This Jezebel piece about rape jokes and comedy’s (definitely real) lady problem.
5. Helena Bonham Carter as Elizabeth Taylor. Unlike Lifetime’s choice of Lindsey Lohan, this casting choice is AMAZING.
When you see a pair of Rory Ashton earrings, you notice. Whether you catch them on the racks at Melanie Gayle or Flirt Boutique or on the ears of girls like Courtney Kerr, you can’t help but be mesmerized by the hoops holding clusters of colorful gems. The designer herself is equally eye catching, a little blonde bombshell adorned in pink and her own glittering jewels. She popped over to D headquarters last week to spill her Jimmy Choo bag for us. Take a look:
1. Ted Baker wallet. “It has so many compartments.”
2. iPhone (“It’s everything. I have so much music in it.”) and JLab charger. “It’s a purse phone charger, but it has three full charges in it.”
3. Beauty products from top: Essie Good to Go topcoat (“To freshen your manicure.”); Rosebud Lip Salve (“I love this. I’m addicted. I keep one by my bed, too.”); Rouge Dior Lipcolor in Pink Caprice (“It has a pretty bold pigment, so I usually wear that going out or I’ll lightly swipe it with Chapstick.”); Guerlain KissKiss Gloss in 868 (“This is my all-time favorite. I ordered six on Amazon to make sure I never run out. I have a stock.”); Laura Mercier Eye Basics primer in Flax (“It’s supposed to be for before you put your eyeshadow on, but I use it as a brightener. I put it under my eyes.”); and Yves Saint Laurent Glossy Stain in 17 Encre Rose (“This is my other favorite. It’s a stain gloss.”)
4. Earrings. “I always have random earrings in my bag. These [far right] are from my new collection. They’re not out yet, but it’s going to be India inspired.”
Continue reading "What’s in Rory Ashton’s Bag?"